March 17, 2008

An Holy Palm Sunday


Last night, Erich and I (sans poor husband that worked through the weekend) attended a very entertaining morphed holiday celebration hosted by some very creative and innovative friends of ours. I would describe it to you, but I think they did a much better job of summing the night up in the invitation. So, in their own words:

"We have a little tradition of doing something special for Palm Sunday and we thought it would be fun to gather with all of you at the same time. If you can make it, come with some kind of tree branch in hand. We lay down the palm fronds and then read a few scriptures and then sing Easter songs mixed with Christmas songs (so O little Town of Bethlehem sung to the tune of O Savior thou who Wearest, etc) and then we end with a wild rendition of Popcorn popping and gorge ourselves on popcorn and fruit and other beautiful growing things to usher in spring. It goes along with our traditional merging of pagan festivals with holy Christian/Jewish/Muslim holidays."

Well, they were telling the truth, that's exactly what happened, with the exception of an Easter egg hunt. It was great!! I stumbled through the first couple of hymns, but once I got the hang of it, the change of pace was oddly refreshing. The children all participated with the singing and waving of branches-my favorite being the giant IKEA leaf. Erich had a great time and certainly accepted the invitation of gorging himself on the delicious berries (we are definitely going berry picking this summer!). Hopefully this will be the first of many pagan rituals we are invited to blend with our dear friends. Thank you for the great evening, Olsen's!!

Below are some pictures that another pal took at last nights festivities. We arranged a deal where she'll take pictures of Erich soon and I'll repay her using my favorite commodity - me. (That means I'll give her a massage.)

11 comments:

lisset said...

i love his red hair.
sounds like a fun evening. geex we need some friends!

Alifinale said...

That sounds like quite the adventure. And can I say I love love love Erich's hair! It is getting longer and the curl in it is to die for. Have you heard that they are saying red heads are to be extinct in the next 100 years. Glad to see you and Marc are doing your part to keep the red heads populated.

Owens D.C. said...

You're going to hear it forever, but redheads are just special and he is no exception! Fabulous with those crystal blue eyes..just love it!

Marc said...

Can you believe Melbo didn't want a kid with red hair at first?!

melbo said...

Thanks everyone, we'll try our hardest to keep the redheads coming! Marc, thats a sick lie and you know it.

Anonymous said...

He is such a handsome, playful boy!! Loved chillin' with you guys!

Melanie said...

So fun! Erich is such a doll! (And Marc is a big fat liar!)

Bailey said...

Missy! I am so happy that you left me a comment! It is great to hear from you! I must say your little Erich is so darling. I love his red curls! You're in Virginia? I grew up in Alexandria. How do you like it?

Rob and Jewls said...

he may be one of the cutest kids ever! His hair is getting long and I love it!

melbo said...

Bailey I didn't know you grew up here. I really like it here, I think we'll be here for a while. If you ever come back to visit we have to get together!

Dianah said...

I love the pictures that Erich takes. He is such a cute kid. The expressions that he gives are priceless.